Barefoot running is a fairly new and growing movement in the world of running. Today, I entered this world, but not necessarily out of choice. Well, no one forced me to run barefoot on the hotel treadmill but I wanted to have a quick workout and didn't pack my running shoes. So barefoot I went. Despite … Continue reading On barefoot running
Abdominal adipose tissue better known as belly fat, is a serious problem. While being overweight is not good, the location of where your fat is deposited is a bigger issue. This notion is only starting to work its way into popular media however, the message is just not moving fast enough. It is important to … Continue reading All about belly fat
You've all heard it from one friend or another, "if you want to lose weight, you've got to get into the fat burning zone". When I first heard this expression I thought "yes, I do need to get into this magical zone. I do have some fat that needs to be burned". At the time however, … Continue reading The fat burning zone – real or fake?
Recently, I had the opportunity to hear Derrick Spafford - a running coach and trainer, writer, and exercise enthusiast - speak at a local event. In 1989, Derrick started what he has coined a "streak" of running. Since that day in December (I believe) he has not taken a single day off running. I was immediately … Continue reading Start a Streak
Statistics Canada recently reported that only 15% of adult Canadians meet the Canadian physical activity guidelines. The guidelines recommend that adults exercise for 30 minutes per day at a moderate to vigorous intensity all or most days of the week. So what is the remaining 85% of the population doing? Sitting - well, for the … Continue reading The truth about sitting…
The CBC has launched an exciting new initiative titled "Live Right Now". It is a campaign targeted at Canadians to improve their physical activity, nutrition, and weight. It has partnered with Loblaws and the Ontario Medical Association. To check it out: http://www.cbc.ca/liverightnow. The site is packed with information written by physicians, personal trainers and nutritionists. It encourages … Continue reading Live Right Now
The world of blogging is far more accessible than I thought. A friend sent me a link to her site and I thought to myself "I may be able to do this". So far, so good. I have been toying with the idea of writing something whether it be blog or book for the past … Continue reading The beginning…