Too cold to go outside? Feel like having a lazy day inside? Sounds like a perfect day to me. However, I encourage you to break up your day of rest and relaxation with some brief bouts of activity.
1. Take the stairs from the basement to the top floor – 3 times. This should get your heart pumping and your breathing rate up.
2. Do wall push-ups. Every couple of hours do 3 sets of 10-12 wall push-ups. What are wall push-ups? Stand an arms length away from the wall. Put your arms out in front of you and touch the wall. Then do what you would normally do for a push-up (just against the wall). This is slightly lower impact but still gets the arms and chest working.
3. Do squats. Watching commercials? Stand up, place your feet shoulder width apart, bend at the knees and squat down. It is important to note your position. You should always be able to see your toes (thus, never squat with your knees over your toes). Also, remember to stick your butt out. I recommend doing the first couple squats in the mirror to get the look and feel. Aim for 2-3 sets in the day of 10 repetitions.
4. Do high knee lifts. You need to get your heart pumping again after all those muscle exercises. Stand up and raise one bent knee up towards your chest. Alternate knees. Go faster (but, be safe). Try to go for 1-2 minutes at fairly high intensity, 3-4 times in the day.
5. Work your biceps. Even if you don’t have weights, this can easily be accomplished. Grab a couple of soup cans. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and knees soft (i.e. not locked). Hold the cans with your arms starting down by your sides. Bending at the elbow, raise your arms (i.e. forearms) to 90 degrees. Go slowly and make sure you feel some resistance. If you don’t feel any resistance you’re not working hard enough. Slowly bring your arms back down to beside your body. Repeat 2-3 sets throughout the day of 10-12 repetitions.
The thing is, you don’t have to do this all at the same time. While it is recommended to get exercise in at least 10 minute bouts, you can still gain a lot of benefit from doing short bursts of activity. It is a good idea to break up your sitting time.
Even on your lazy day (which are very important to have) you can still fit some physical activity in.